On May 7, 2017, Chris Lynn and Sunil Narine of KKR achieved the highest powerplay score in IPL history, defeating the RCB at Bengaluru’s M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.
The KKR powerplay’s highest score was 105 runs, the second time the KKR has won the Indian Premier League. Its six-over run total was a record. This duo beat Chennai Super Kings (CSK) previous record of 100 runs in the powerplay.
Lynn and Narine were a formidable partnership during the match. They made the KKR team with the highest powerplay score in IPL history. Both teams managed to pull off a fantastic feat, making the match even more impressive.
List of IPL history’s highest powerplay scores
|105/0||Kolkata Knight Riders||Royal Challengers Bangalore||2017|
|100/2||Chennai Super Kings||Kings XI Punjab||2014|
|90/0||Chennai Super Kings||Mumbai Indians||2015|
|87/2||Kochi Tuskers Kerala||Rajasthan Royals||2011|
|86/1||Kings XI Punjab||Sunrisers Hyderabad||2014|
List of IPL history’s lowest powerplay scores
|17/1||Royal Challengers Bangalore||Chennai Super Kings||2014|
|17/3||Mumbai Indians||Kings XI Punjab||2015|
|16/1||Chennai Super Kings||Royal Challengers Bangalore||2019|
|16/1||Chennai Super Kings||Delhi Daredevils||2015|
|15/2||Chennai Super Kings||Kolkata Knight Riders||2011|
|14/2||Rajasthan Royals||Royal Challengers Bangalore||2009|
|14/3||Sunrisers Hyderabad||Rajasthan Royals||2022|
These are the Top 10 Most Powerful Play Scores in IPL History
- The Kolkata Knight Riders won the 2017 IPL powerplay against Royal Challengers Bangalore by scoring 105 runs.
- Chennai Super Kings scored 100/2 against Kings XI Punjab, the highest score in IPL in the powerplay in 2014.
- In 2015, Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians by scoring 90 runs to win the IPL powerplay.
- In 2011, Kochi Tuskers Kerala won 87-2 against Rajasthan Royals.
- In 2014, Kings XI Punjab won 86/1 against Sunrisers Hyderabad
- Mumbai Indians smashed the highest powerplay score in IPL 2018 by thrashing 84/0 against Delhi Capitals (Delhi Daredevils then).
- Deccan Chargers won 84/1 against Delhi Daredevils in 2009.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore scored 83/4 in 2015 against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Kings XI Punjab scored 82/1 against Mumbai Indians in 2017.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad scored 79/0 against Kolkata Knight Riders in 2017.
#1 – 105/0, Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore, 2017
The 46th IPL match at Bengaluru between RCB & KKR saw the Kolkata Knight Riders make history by scoring the highest IPL powerplay score. Suniel Narine and Chris Lynn opened the innings. The target was to score at least 159 runs.
Chris Lynn, who was returning from injury, and Sunil Narine took the lead to restore the lost faith of KKR and went bonkers against RCB’s bowling attack. In this match, Narine boasted that he was the fastest (off 15 balls) IPL half-century player.
KKR won 105-0 after six overs. Lynn (49*) and Narine (54*) while damaging the home team and manifesting the highest powerplay score in IPL History.
#2 – 100/2, Chennai Super Kings vs. Kings XI Punjab, 2014
CSK reached a massive target of 227 runs against Kings XI Punjab and started the second bowl without even taking a deep breath. Faf du Plessis, their opener, fell for a duck under immense pressure, and everyone was gnashing their teeth.
Suresh Raina’s dramatic debut helped CSK score 100 runs in the powerplay. The stadium witnessed the miracles of batting that day, and it was clear that their jaws were open when Raina scored an incredible 87 runs in only 25 balls with a stunning strike rate of 348.
#3 – 90/0 Chennai Super Kings vs. Mumbai Indians, 2015
The Chennai Super Kings boasted the most runs in powerplay at IPL 2015 at Wankhede Stadium. Mumbai Indians set themselves a challenging target of 184 runs. CSK was clever and gave leads to Dwayne Smith and Brendon McCullum, furious openers. This led to a breakthrough start with 90 runs in six overs.
IPL Powerplay Highest Score: Highlights
- Despite not winning a single IPL title in their history, RCB has been the highest-scoring team with the two highest totals.
- Virat Kohli was the first IPL player to score against two opposing teams in the same edition in 2016.
- Vijay was the third Indian player, after Manish Pandey & Yusuf Pathan, to win an IPL ton in 2010.
- No team achieved an IPL power play high score for 2019
This is the lowest powerplay score in IPL history
There isn’t always glory. Sometimes, even the most determined team can score the fewest runs in 6 overs. These are just a few examples.
7. Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Chennai Super Kings in 2014: 17-1
6. 17-3 Mumbai Indians vs. Kings XI Punjab, 2015.
5. 16-1 Chennai Super Kings against Royal Challengers Bangalore IPL 2019.
4. 16-1 by Chennai Super Kings against Delhi Daredevils (Now Delhi Capitals) in IPL 2015.
3. 15/2 Chennai Super Kings against Kolkata Knight Riders, 2011.
2. 14/2 by Rajasthan Royals against Royal Challengers Bangalore in IPL 2009.
1. 14/3 Sunrisers Hyderabad at Rajasthan Royals, IPL 2022
SRH was joint-lowest in the powerplay against Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2022. SRH’s score against RR was 14/3 in the first six matches of IPL 2022. Rahul Tripathi and Kane Williamson in the Powerplay beat them. RR bowled 2 maidens against SRH in the six first overs. They were joined by Rajasthan Royals, who had won 14/2 against RCB in IPL 2009.
Every IPL season has been thrilling, with fans and players witnessing many incredible performances. As you can see, the teams with the highest powerplay runs have been the ones that perform best in match play.
What is Powerplay, and Why it’s Important?
In the T20 format league, the first six overs of the batting teams’ innings are known as the powerplay and hold great prominence. True cricket fans cannot miss the first six overs. It is the Showtime for great batting from the batsmen, thrashing each other.
But, if they are too aggressive in their powerplay attempts, they could also endanger the team’s trump by losing wickets within the first six overs. But, it’s worth taking the risk because if they score high runs without losing many wickets, it benefits the whole team, which puts them ahead in the match.
Two ways to win in the Crucial Powerplay Hour
Powerplays can only be conducted in one direction in the shortest format. Either the bowling team puts-up crucial bowling tricks to keep their opponents at bay, or the batting team gives immense effort in the first six runs. If the top-order or openers struggle to score in the first six overs, it can be a crucial factor in determining the success or failure of the team.
Indian Premier League has seen exceptional batting performances by batsmen from different teams. Many matches have seen many teams score more than 16 runs per game. Stunning, isn’t it? We are proud to present the highest-ever powerplay score in IPL history.